How to automatically move and rename new TV and Movie Recordings

Added by kfhickel about 5 years ago

Noob alert....

So, I just bought meta brwoser, and it seems to be working well on my existing recordings. Now I need to figure out how to get it to handle new ones.
I've got Windows Media Center recording to "d:\Recorded TV". Ideally meta browser would be able to monitor that folder, figure out the series and episode from the metadata that WMC records in the file, and move & rename it into the proper folder.

But, I have no idea how to set it up.
I added "D:\Recorded TV" as a media location and enabled monitoring, but because there is no directory structure in that directory, the files just show up under that group with no information.

I must be missing something....

-Kelly

Replies (5)

RE: How to automatically move and rename new TV and Movie Recordings - Added by fatal about 5 years ago

Hey,

Don't add D:\Recorded TV as a media location, you need to instead setup episode sorting in Settings->TV->Episode Sorting and add "D:\Recroded TV" as a monitored location for sorting...then add destination locations, ie, \\server\disk1\tv", which should be the root of the series level folder...this destination location should also be in your media location.

Here's a previous post explaining a little bit about sorting:

The Series Name of the file is determined by the beginning of the filename. If it is a wtv/dvr-ms, it uses it's embedded metadata to find the series name.

After a series name is found it looks for any mappings you have setup in settings->mappings for episode sorting...if a mapping match is found it maps the series name to the mapped replace value (for example "Mike and Molly" => "Mike & Molly").

It then searches your destination locations for a folder by the same name as the series name, and if found, it looks for existing series metadata at that location to do any fetching and does not perform a search online to find the series.

If no matching location is found or no series metadata exists at the location then it performs a search on tvdb for the series name and grabs the first result it finds.

The rest is pretty straight forward as it then tries to find the correct episode, moves it to it's destination location (again based on series name, and if no existing location is found it will create a new series/season folder on the first destination location, as the first one in the list takes precedence when no matching folder is found) and fetches the metadata for it.

Take Care

RE: How to automatically move and rename new TV and Movie Recordings - Added by kfhickel about 5 years ago

That worked very nicely, thanks. I'll try to write up a howto on the wiki when I get a chance.

Any pointers on renaming? I think I'd like to standardize all the episode / movie naming....

Thanks,
Kelly

RE: How to automatically move and rename new TV and Movie Recordings - Added by fatal about 5 years ago

Hey,

The best rename pattern would be something that contains sXXeYY in the filename, as that is recognized by almost all programs...for example: s%0se%0e - %en.%ext

I have mine set to [%0sx%0e] - %en.%ext.

Take Care

RE: How to automatically move and rename new TV and Movie Recordings - Added by kfhickel about 5 years ago

Thanks, two more questions:
1) How do I tell it to go and rename everything according to the patterns I've set (movies and tv)
2) Is there a way to test the patterns first? (doesn't matter if the renaming is fast enough, I suppose).

Thanks,
Kelly

Hey,

1. You can perform a Process All for your media...in the settings make sure that ONLY "Perform Renaming" is checked under the Movies and Episodes tab and that no other items are checked under the settings tab.

2. You can test the pattern on any item by just selecting it and hitting the "Save" button.

Take Care

(1-5/5)